Yeah, you read it right, a garden.
I am not looking to do an average garden. I'm looking for a lazy man's garden. Maximum reward for minimum effort.
I'm looking to provide a healthy better tasting alternative to the supermarket produce that we currently eat. Hey, the way I figure it, if we have a steady supply of fresh veggies, we will end up eating better.
Last week, I discovered the Earthbox. It looked pretty cool. Then I found the Earthtainer. As a guy who like little projects, the earthtainer looked to be the ticket!
1. I would be able to place the garden in a ideal location, as most of the open ground around the house is shaded by trees.
2. Selfwatering! There is a fairly large water reservoir that would allow weekly waterings from me but constant perfect watering to the plant.
3. No weeds. You use 100% sterile potting mix no weed seeds.
Last friday I picked up a copy of All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Now I am sort of undecided.
1. Earthtainers will be more expensive.
2. SF gardening will be more work.
I am still deciding on which path to take.
Meanwhile, The tomato and pepper seeds are planted. Right now there are sitting comfy on top of the refrigerator:
I started them March 11, 2009
Hopefully they will emerge in the next 5 days!
And then they will be moved down to the cooler basement under the new lights!